Sunday, October 26, 2014

Life Across the Pond, Part I

There are two instances when time flies by: when you're having fun, and when you're busy. Combine the two, and you might be left in a daze wondering where the past few weeks have disappeared to. Welcome to my life. Let me fill you in on what's been going on. With a few exceptions, each picture will have only a very brief explanation--but that doesn't mean my heart wasn't bursting with joy for each of them!


What? Green phone booths? I found these while on a walk exactly three weeks ago. I show you them to illustrate how out of the ordinary that day was. It was General Conference weekend, but since there's the seven-hour time difference here, the first session didn't start until five PM. So, for the first half of the day, I explored the city by myself--mostly the financial district area. Church bells were ringing as I strolled the pavements, and I loved getting to know my city more. After finishing my walk and with a delicious pistachio macaroon in hand, I hopped over to the Victoria & Albert Museum to check out their wedding dress exhibit. I got to see wedding dresses from the 1700s to the present! Unfortunately, no photos were allowed, so I can't show you how cool it was. I loved it and learned lots, though. Conference and dinner were waiting when I came home. What an enjoyably different Sunday!


This is Burghley House in Stamford and our first stop on a week-long trip to the North. Palatial, isn't it? For my fellow Jane Austen fans, this is Lady Catherine's house in the 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice! Believe me, it's just as lovely inside as it is out. 


It gets better, Jane Austen fans. If you're not hyperventilating yet, I'll tell you why you should be: this is Pemberley (aka Chatsworth, its real name). There are so many incredible pictures, but here are some of my favorites. 


(MR. DARCY, OH MY GOSH)


A view of the grounds from the top of the fountain


Isn't this a cool shot? Fall was just starting to make itself evident...


We spent the next day in the charming city of York. This tiny, eclectic street is called the Shambles. It's incredibly well-preserved and dates back to the 1300s. 


Here's York Minster, where I went to my first Evensong. Evensong is a Catholic practice of reading lessons from the Bible and singing psalms. Oh man, what a neat experience; the choir (made of men and young boys) sang so beautifully, it was like I'd stumbled upon heaven or something. I very easily imagined myself as a young woman in medieval times, listening to the praises sung and admiring the almost intimidating beauty of the minster. Night had fallen by the time we returned to the streets, and the minster's bells rung a happy tune. I find myself thinking of this night often.





Say hello to Fountains Abbey in North Yorkshire! Once upon a time, this was a flourishing center for worship; that is, until King Henry VIII decided to create the Anglican church and dissolve the monasteries. This one was sacked and left to ruin. It may be in ruins, but it is one of the most beautiful and thought-provoking places.


Whitby Abbey: the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula. More pretty than spooky, in my humble opinion. 


I had the privilege of witnessing such a view while walking up to Holy Island. This is also notable because a friend of mine (the same one who let me borrow his computer--great kid) and I quoted SpongeBob all the way to there. It was the greatest. 




Different shots of Hadrian's Wall. I went on my own for a little while and just followed the wall. For some reason, Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken" lingered in my mind as I ambled through the hills. It was tranquil, the only noise being the rustle of wind on grass and an occasional distant bleat from a sheep. 


Good morning, Scotland. Edinburgh is a breathtaking city.




As some of you already know, I visited the Elephant House--the cafe where J.K. Rowling began writing Harry Potter. This is another cherished experience of mine for three reasons (not in order of importance, mind you). One, the food there was amazing. I had a tuna sandwich on focaccia bread and a slice of cappuccino cake. So good. Two, IT'S THE BIRTHPLACE OF HARRY FLIPPING POTTER. Of course it's important. I was raised on those stories, I think of them always, and they're a part of who I am. It was a pilgrimage for me. Three, this may sound silly, but I connected to Rowling in a way I never had before. As my friends talked about her struggles with depression and poverty, and what the Harry Potter universe meant to her (and all of us), I felt this deep surge of love and respect for her. We're all fighting the good fight, aren't we? I can never thank her enough for battling her demons and giving us this incredible series.


Here's the cemetery where Rowling found a few of the characters' names--Scrimgeour, Riddle, Potter, and Diggory, to name a few. 

Again, I wish I had more time. I've only given you the most important stuff; there are so many amazing things I simply don't have the time to tell you about. If you ever want to know more, or if you wonder whether I've visited a certain place, feel free to ask me! More is to come in Part II! 

No comments:

Post a Comment