Saturday, October 4, 2014

London, My Dear

Frankly, this week broke my heart. I felt the full force of the Fall as everything that could go wrong essentially did. Combined with my own internal issues, these misfortunes seemed to sap away all my positivity. You're not supposed to cry while you're in London! However, every time I was hurting or something went wrong, God and England provided relief and encouragement. In light of this, those troubles are trifling. Insignificant. So instead of focusing on the unfortunate, I'd like to emphasize the goodness.


Monday, we went to the Wallace Gallery, the National Gallery, and the National Portrait Gallery, all of which have some of the most incredible art pieces I've ever seen. On the way there, we passed by Selfridge's. We didn't have time to go in, but I couldn't resist a picture! 





These both pertain to Saint Paul's Cathedral. On the top, I simply had to include those amazing roses in the picture--which turned out pretty nicely, if I do say so myself. The next one was taken from the steps of Saint Paul's while my friend and I ate some delicious goodies from Paul's Bakery. I had my first macaroon! 


This is my beloved city at night. Tuesday, we crossed one of the many bridges spanning the Thames to attend a play at the National Theatre--James I. A warning: don't see that play. I had to leave during intermission. 

Also during that day, my professor's wife helped me find my lost tickets, offered to let me use her iPhone to surf the net since I wouldn't have a computer, and helped me sort out the issue of how I'd turn in online homework. She was like my mother away from home. My friend offered to let me use his laptop. Several people complimented me on things I'd been insecure about. Two amazing girls left James I with me, and we got gelato afterwards (mine was a splendid dairy-free dark chocolate). A girl I really admire helped me sort out a few of problems, provided wonderful advice, and gave me some of the sweetest praise. As some of you may have read from Facebook, I truly believe the Lord makes angels out of the people in our lives. I witnessed this that night. 


The 1975 concert--heck yes! What a crazy, festive atmosphere. Thanks to this concert, I discovered a new band I like, called Circa Waves. They opened for The 1975 with an infectious enthusiasm. The title band themselves rocked (all puns intended); hearing some of my favorite songs live was one of the coolest experiences. 



Obligatory pic with Big Ben and a telephone booth! This moment cemented the fact that I'm really living my dream. Also, please note the Leonardo DiCaprio shirt. I'm very proud of it. 


Big Ben, Parliament, and the Thames under a dynamic English sky. 


Here's the London Eye, which I hope to ride in the near future. 


The Royal Opera House! I didn't have my camera with me that night, but this pic from the internet shows almost the exact perspective I had. We saw The Barber of Seville, a hilarious opera buffa about a disguised duke trying to win the hand of a woman held captive by her aged guardian, all with the help of the wily local barber, Figaro. It was my first opera, and what a treat it was. For about two and a half hours, I could almost imagine myself as a young woman in the eighteenth century, joining thousands of others in the rich entertainment a la mode. I didn't realize how often this is made reference to in other forms of media--there were several recognizable tunes. 


Friday, we embarked on a day-trip to explore the LDS sites of Herefordshire. After a hike that reminded me I have a body (nice and invigorating, but not too hard), we reached the top of Herefordshire Beacon, where the early missionaries went to seek guidance from the Lord. How glorious it was! With the wind blowing and a vast view of the area all around me, I was Elizabeth from the 2005 Pride & Prejudice movie. One could also strongly feel the Spirit up there. We had a little testimony meeting of sorts, and I bore mine. I felt ambiguously about it, but two kind girls told me it was spiritual and intelligent. I might have been glowing after that. 


We had another little testimony meeting in the Gadfield Chapel--the first LDS Church meetinghouse in the UK. I loved singing hymns in there with everyone. 


Here is a gorgeous view from the hike to Herefordshire Beacon. On the way back to the coach (bus), I took a pathway lined with trees and littered with leaves which fell even as I walked! Fall is my favorite. Scratch that. Fall in England is my favorite. No matter how awesome day- or week-trips are, though, I always find myself eager to return home to London. Because that's what it's become to me--home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment